What Is Skin Hydration
By now, you must have heard about the importance of having a hydrated skin and how having hydrated skin keeps you looking younger. But do you really know what is skin hydration and why it’s important as well as the effects it has?.
The skin has three layers, hypodermis, dermis, and epidermis. When we talk about skin hydration, we are talking about the epidermis and the % of the water it has on the body; the appropriate level is between 10-15% and it is when the skin is hydrated. So, when the skin has below 10% of the water it means the skin is dehydrated.
In this post, I am going to explain why maintaining the skin hydrated is important, what happens when the skin is dehydrated and how to keep it hydrated, as well as the products that target skin hydration.
Importance of a hydrated skin
The skin serves as protection for the body against the world and the environment. The skin can have different lesions and diseases which is why we want to keep it hydrated since that way it can perform its functions better and can protect itself too.
When the body is not hydrated enough, there is not enough water for the skin which makes the skin look dull, lifeless and it won’t allow the skin to perform its protective duties correctly. Besides, when your skin is hydrated; your skin will look radiant, glowing, it will be less oily (the skin produces oil as protection), and overall your skin will look healthy and your skin will look younger.
What happens if the skin is not hydrated
As I mentioned, the skin serves as protection and has healing and regenerating capabilities. If the skin is not well hydrated, besides not being able to perform its duties, it will have many consequences due to unprotected and susceptible skin. Some consequences are:
- Susceptibility to diseases (eczema, dandruff, rosacea, skin cancer, etc.)
- Premature aging
- Dull, lifeless looking skin
- Dry skin
- Oily skin and acne as a skin reaction and protection
These are some consequences although no all. Another thing to take into account is that these reactions might be for other internal factors, which are also a reason to maintain healthy skin. If your skin is generally healthy and suddenly you get a rash, you might be looking for internal reasons because it is not normal, but if you have dehydrated and dull-looking skin, you may never notice any anomaly you may have.
How to keep a hydrated skin
The principal thing to do for hydrated skin is to drink water. Before buying any product, before anything, you have to drink the necessary amount of water.
The skin is made of 63% of water and has the 10%-15% of the total water from the body, but we also have to take into account the other organs and not only the skin, with that, I mean that the other organs also need water to function properly, so after the process, if there is not enough water, the skin will be dehydrated.
Water intake not only comes from drinking a glass of water but also comes in food, tea, coffee, etc. If you are not a fan of drinking water alone, you can make infusions and eat food with a high amount of water such as watermelon, cucumber, lettuce, etc.
External hydration is also a huge part of having hydrated skin. I’ve covered internal hydration, but external is also an important part and also a huge ally to your skin. There is a process called TEWL (transepidermal water loss) that I’ve talked about in another post on how to get beautiful and glowing skin. Because of this completely natural process, we need help from external agents to keep the skin hydrated and moisturized.
Best products for hydrated skin
There are many types of products that target skin hydration, and sometimes it can get confusing. Here is a list of different products or ingredients you can use and its purposes.
- Hyaluronic acid: Also called hyaluronan is a substance produced by your body, with the function to retain water. It has many benefits and you can get it from supplements and topical serums. The best part is that it can reduce aging, maintains skin hydration, and is perfect for oily skin. Its use is also very safe and because it is produced by the body, its allergic reactions are very rare.
- Moisturizer: Also known as emollients or humectants. They have the main function of protecting the skin, as well as preventing TEWL. There are many types of moisturizers for different types of skins. The best ones for keeping the skin hydrated are the humectants.
- Serum: Serums are used before moisturizing. The absorption it has on the skin is very fast and they are packed of antioxidants, vitamins and active ingredients that prevent aging, they also have moisturizing ingredients, but they lack petrolatum and mineral oils that are found in moisturizers that prevent the water from evaporating.
- Face masks: face masks are amazing for introducing hydration to the skin. The water and other beneficial components located in the face mask penetrate the skin introducing the hydration and its benefits. They should usually be used once a week, although one should know the ingredients the face mask has because some are actually drying, so make sure the face mask you are using is hydrating. You can check the post we have on easy homemade face masks.
Now you know what is skin hydration, its importance, and how to keep the skin hydrated, as well as the products that target skin hydration. Although, no matter what product you use or what you do, if you don’t drink enough water, your skin won’t be hydrated and you won’t get that fresh, glowing skin we all desire.
In future posts, I’ll explain more about the best products to use, and how to use them for hydrated skin, and if you have any doubt or if you’d like to know more about a skin-related subject don’t doubt to ask in the comments down below. You can also subscribe to be notified when there are more posts or follow glowing rush in social media to get more tips and tricks for glowing skin.
Have a great weekend!
Stay Up to Date With The Latest News & Updates
Join Our Newsletter
Subscribe and receive FREE new information, tips & tricks on how to have an amazing, glowing- looking skin
Keep up with the latest news of Glowing Rush and see more FREE content on our social media